Monday, October 23, 2006

Too Soon, Too Soon

Like many others, I was impressed mightily by Barack Obama’s speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and I have followed his career since with quite positive feelings. Until tonight.

Senator Obama has disappointed me by saying that he is considering a run for the Presidency in 2008, or at least by not ruling it out. On what grounds would I choose to vote for Barack Obama as President? His handsomeness? His oration skills? Certainly, it could not be on his record, because there is scarcely enough of it to justify choosing him as a U.S. Senator, much less as leader of the free world.

Mind you, I am not saying he has accomplished nothing. I am not saying he has made hideous errors. I am merely saying that more is required of a Presidential hopeful than a couple of years in the Senate.

I want a seasoned politician and man as my President. I don’t want someone who is bound to be still learning on the job.

It is my fervent hope that wiser heads will provide Senator Obama with counsel on this issue so that he makes the right decision. It is not yet his time.

Barack Obama is the biggest star in the firmament of black leaders to come along in many years. Can he someday be the first African-American President of the United States? It may well be that he can. But not in 2008. At least not with my vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home