Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Luddite Lost in Live Chat Land

The following is an exact transcript (with typos and their commercials) of an actual live chat session I had with Earthlink tonight.

Welcome to Earthlink LiveChat. Your chat session will begin shortly.
Not at home and you want to read your email? With EarthLink Web Mail you can check your email from any computer with an internet connection!
Please wait for a site operator to respond. While you are waiting, please feel free to begin typing your issue in the box below. Try to be as descriptive as possible. Once an operator responds, click SEND to transmit what you have typed.

'Stanley C' says: Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat, how may I help you today?
The Voice: Ever since I installed Earthlink Total Protection if I leave my computer for a period of time when I tap the keyboard to bring it up out of power save Earthlink has disconnected my cable connection and I need to restart my computer in order to get it back. I don't want to have to restart my computer multiple times a day. I ran the cable connection several weeks with no problems prior to loading the Earthlink software so I am sure the firewall is the problem. How do I reset it not to do this?
Stanley C: Hello Voice, I will be glad to assist you in resolving the issue.
The Voice: Go to it Stanley
Stanley C: It seems that the powermanagement is enabled on your computer.
Stanley C: If powermanagement is enabled, the system will disconnected.
Stanley C: I will help you disable powermanagement.
Stanley C: http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=1291
Stanley C: Please make use of the link to disable powermanagement.
Stanley C: Please go through the link and let me know if you have nay doubts.

The Voice: Bad answer Stanley. Did you read my message? I was having absolutely no problems with uising power management and my cable connection until I got Earthlink Total F'ing Control. I would rather dump your stinking software. And while we're at it, how do I take the overbearing earthlink home page off as my default? I have changed it to something else as Use Current Page, but I want it out of the default setting. I am this close () to dumping Earthlink all together. I still have no resolution to an email problem I was told the engineers were working on three or four weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!
Stanley C: I see that you have 3 issues.
Stanley C: First, I will help you setup the Earthlink.net page as the default page.
Stanley C: Then we shall move forward to troubleshoot other issues.

The Voice: Stanley, dearest, Upon which continent are you located? I am guessing it is not North America. I do not want earthlink as my default home page. When I installed your software it placed earthlink as my home page, which I did NOT want. I want to take it out of the default.
Stanley C: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
The Voice: I shall also apologize to you. It is not your fault that these issues have been stacking up like cord wood and you are at the tail end of my frustrations.
Stanley C: When you open Internet Explorer, you get EarthLink page as default. You want me to help you remove it as default. Am I right?
The Voice: You are correct.
Stanley C: Thank you for your understanding. Please be patient with me. I will help you resolve all the issues today. If I am unable to help you, I will let you know.
Stanley C: Open Internet Explorer.
Stanley C: Click Tools --> Click Internet options.
Stanley C: Click on General tab.
Stanley C: In the Homepage region, you will see www.earthlink.net in the field that reads Address. Please delete the contents in the field.
Stanley C: Click the button that reads Use Blank.

The Voice: On mine it reads http://www.google.com which is what i am using currently. If I click on Use default it reads as you suggested.
Stanley C: Do you want to use google?
The Voice: For the nonce, yes. What I want to know is how to I erase earthlink as the default?
Stanley C: In the field, you need to have an email address other than www.earthlink.net
Stanley C: I suggest you to click Use Blank button and then type www.google.com

The Voice: Ok, I can do that. If I try to erase earthlink from the default, it just restores itself when I click Use Default. Your solution is the same kind of workaround that I have been doing. Obviously, the earthlink software insinuated itself deeply into the bowels of my computer. This makes me paranoid. this makes me want to have nothing to do with the earthlink software and be very tempted to uninstall it altogether. Are you telling me that you don't know how to change it from the default position either?
Stanley C: I will help you.
Stanley C: Click Tools.
Stanley C: Click Internet Options.
Stanley C: Click on the Programs tab.
Stanley C: Click on the button that reads Reset Websettings.
Stanley C: Click Apply --> Click Ok.

The Voice: Worked like a charm. Thanks Stanley. Now, on to the loss of connection?
Stanley C: Now close and reopen Internet Explorer.
Stanley C: Thank you.
Stanley C: Please let me know the second issue.

The Voice: Ever since I installed Earthlink Total Protection if I leave my computer for a period of time when I tap the keyboard to bring it up out of power save Earthlink has disconnected my cable connection and I need to restart my computer in order to get it back. I don't want to have to restart my computer multiple times a day. I ran the cable connection several weeks with no problems prior to loading the Earthlink software so I am sure the firewall is the problem. How do I reset it not to do this?
The Voice: Stanley, still with me?
Stanley C: Yes.
Stanley C: It seems that the powermanagement is enabled.
Stanley C: If you leave the system idle, it disconnects..

The Voice: It never never never disconnected no matter how long I left it until I got earthlink total protection on the machine. It is a cable modem it is supposed to be on all the time.
Stanley C: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Stanley C: We need to create a new cable location and connect with it.

The Voice: OK, I'll bite. Why?
Stanley C: As it disconnects due to PPPOE, we need to create a new location for cable connection.
The Voice: PPPOE? What is that?
Stanley C: I will provide the link to create a new cable location.
Stanley C: Sorry, I meant to say DHCP.
Stanley C: Click Start --> Click Run --> Let me know the items related to EarthLink listed there.

The Voice: While I am deeply appreciative of al you have done to help me, this has taken very much longer than I anticipated. (Not your fault). I will need to undertake this project later.
Stanley C: I will provide the link. Please wait.
Stanley C: You can create it on your own.

The Voice: OK
Stanley C: Let me know the version of TotalAccess you are using.
The Voice: It says 2005 on the disk. If that is not what you need to know tell me where to find it
Stanley C: Yes, you are using TotalAccess2005.
The Voice: You are not waiting on me are you?
Stanley C: Yes, I am typing the instrcutions for you.
The Voice: OK sorry I will be patient.
Stanley C: In order to resolve the issue, you just need to create a new Location in your TotalAccess. To do so, follow the instructions given below:
Stanley C:
Stanley C: 1. Double-click the EarthLink icon on your desktop.
Stanley C: 2. Click on Settings.
Stanley C: 3. Go to Connections tab.
Stanley C: 4. Click on New button.
Stanley C: 5. Select Other, type a name (like EarthLink DSL) and click Next.
Stanley C: 6. Select Home/Office Network.
Stanley C: 7. Click Next.
Stanley C: 8. Click Finish.
Stanley C: 9. Now, connect using this Location.
Stanley C:
Stanley C: Note: In case you are unable to find the Connections tab as in #3, you can look for Locations tab.

Stanley C: Please follow the instructions and the issue will be resolved.
Stanley C: To print this chat, right click in this window and choose Print.#PFR#/BOS/Pc/PrintChat
Stanley C: Shall I mail the instrcutions to you>

The Voice: Thank you Stanley. I will follow the instructions. Could you email them without difficulty to yourself?
Stanley C: I will mail them. Please wait.
Stanley C: I will mail them to The Voice

The Voice: Fine. I suppose I would be asking too much to ask why this will fix the problem and what the problem is?
Stanley C: As you are bale to use Internet without any problems without TotalAccess, that is the reason I suggested you to create a cable location.
The Voice: OK thank you Stanley. Are we finished here?
Stanley C: Please follow the instructions and the issue will be resolved.
Stanley C: Yes, I am mailing the instructions.

The Voice: Thank you again. I apologize for my ill temper.
Stanley C: Thank you very much for being patient with me.
Stanley C: It was pleasant assisting a friendly and understanding customer like you.
Stanley C: You are most welcome. Your satisfaction is what we strive for.
Stanley C: Is there anything else I can help you with?

The Voice: Au contraire, ma cher Stanley. It is you who are patient with me although I noted you did not answer my question about your continental location. No doubt against earthlink corporate policy. Have a nice evening. The Voice
Stanley C: Do you want to know where I am located?
The Voice: Yes.
Stanley C: I am located in India, but our headquarters are in Atlanta.
Stanley C: I have sent the instructions to you, Please make use of them.
Stanley C: Is there anything else I can help you with?

The Voice: I will. Thank you. I am sure it is long past evening so have a nice whatever time of day it is there. Goodbye The Voice
Stanley C: Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat.
Stanley C: Take Care.
Stanley C: Bye.
Stanley C: Please press and hold Ctrl and click the Close button.

Of All the PCs You Can Buy, Only One is Purely You. $699 Inspiron™ E1405 Notebook with 14” display or $479 Dimension™ B110 Desktop with 19” flat panel monitor after instant savings.
Offer ends 9/27.
Click for details. http://www.earthlink.net/go/chatsupportoffer <>
You are not currently in a chat session.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home